Friday, January 16, 2009

US triple tariffs on Roquefort cheese

(Picture from Wikimedia Commons)

I've just read that on Reuters. Come on. You can't be serious. What's the point of doing that? Punishing the French for not importing US beef. It's not even going to work (we can be so stubborn you can't even imagine). And Roquefort is such a delicious cheese. The result will be that only rich people will afford it. So unfair. The guys making these decisions must have been raised eating tasteless hormone-fed meat...Poor ignorant people.

For those of you who have never had the opportunity to taste it, Roquefort is a blue cheese, also known as the king of cheeses, made since the eleventh century with ewe's milk in Southwestern France. To the amazement of my parents, I used to eat loads of it when I was a young kid (I've become much more reasonable since then for obvious breath-related reasons). I've tasted great blue cheese in the US too but nothing really coming close to Roquefort's (strong) flavors.

Anyway, I kind of like this conclusion by Jose Bove, the anti-globalization activist who also happens to be a Roquefort cheese producer : "Europeans will have to eat more Roquefort cheese to make up for the loss". Better start right away man...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a bummer. it's a sad state of affairs when you have to start saving up for cheese.

Anonymous said...

Uh oh, not the breath issue! lol...I get that with every cheese I eat and yogurt, too. hate when that happens because I'm such a cheese fan. But it was a relief to learn it isn't just me!

Anonymous said...

That is unbelievable! :( Why, oh why?